Expecting miracles, we commit ourselves to sharing God's love as we make disciples.
Established in 1853, St. John’s Baptist Church is a Southern Baptist Church affiliated with the Baptist General Association of Virginia and “The Bridge Network of Churches,” the local association of like-minded churches. Not only is it a strong supporter of local missions, it also supports those of state, national, and international stature.Learn More
St. John’s Baptist is located in the geographical heart of the City of Virginia Beach, Virginia. Our diverse congregation is made up of loving Christians from all walks of life and from many different communities within the City. Although much development has occurred in recent years in the areas immediately surrounding the church, St. John’s is not a “walk to” church, generally, as most of our congregation drive from the different areas of our demographic.
Our church family is composed of individuals of all ages who will be honored by your presence at our Community Worship Service, Sunday School, Bible Studies, or at any of the many activities that take place through the week.
For more information about:
In the year 1853, the need was recognized for a church in the Court House area of Princess Anne County, and twenty-two members were dismissed from London Bridge Baptist Church for the purpose of constituting a new congregation. Organized on October 16, 1853, the congregation proceeded to construct a building, which was completed in l854.Learn More
Although renovated on two occasions, the original sanctuary has not been changed. Two additional structures were added, the south wing in l952 and the north wing in l956. The first phase of the Educational building was constructed in l968. In l995, two acres behind the church were purchased, and the ground cleared for the construction of an addition to the Education Building. A Master Plan was adopted and approved by the city, and all site work was completed for future phases of construction.
During the trying times of the Civil War, the church was almost dissolved. The war left its mark on the church as well as on the nation. In July of 1869, with the help of the Princess Anne Union, interest was revived and the church survived, but not without a great struggle. Throughout these years, St. John’s maintained a close relationship with London Bridge Baptist Church, the mother church.
From 1890-1943, the pastors of London Bridge, Oak Grove, Creeds and Centerville churches shared preaching responsibilities and helped to keep the church alive. In l943, under the leadership of Dr. Walter Meade, Morning Worship, Sunday School, and Evening Worship were held on a regular basis. The church grew at a steady but slow pace throughout the ensuing years as different pastors filled our pulpit and ministered to the congregation.
In l973, the church called Rev. Dorsel Moyers as its pastor. Under his leadership, many new programs were implemented and the church flourished. The surrounding area began to change, as the old Princess Anne County became the new City of Virginia Beach. Upon Rev. Moyer’s retirement, the church, led by Rev. Hank Brooks, experienced another period of rapid growth as Holland Road became a growth corridor for the city. Plans were developed for a future sanctuary, and in 1999 St. John’s was recognized as the “Church of the Year” by the Norfolk Baptist Association.
In 2003 church celebrated its 150th anniversary, and the sanctuary was placed on the Virginia Beach Registry of Historic Buildings.
As growth continued, we began to prepare for a new sanctuary building. New pastor Dr. James R. (Bob) Pipkin and his family were welcomed to the church.
A groundbreaking service was held in September of 2008, and construction began. On October 4th, 2009, the church dedicated its new sanctuary building, housing a worship center, parlor, library, administrative area, and welcome center.
The church continues to be a place of ministry and service to the surrounding community, with an appreciation of its heritage and anticipation of its future.